Dental Crowns in Houston, TX
Dental Crowns: Restorative Solutions for a Healthy Smile
If you have damaged, discolored, or misaligned teeth, dental crowns can be an excellent solution for restoring their appearance and function. At Dentistry of Highland Village, our Houston cosmetic dentists alongside our experienced team can fit teeth with dental crowns right from our office. Keep reading to learn more about these versatile restorations and how your smile can benefit from them.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns, also known as tooth caps, are porcelain or ceramic restorations cemented on top of damaged or decayed teeth. They complete the restoration process by covering and protecting the remaining tooth structure, restoring its strength and aesthetics. Crowns are custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth, providing a seamless and natural look.
Uses of Dental Crowns
Though dental crowns are often considered a cosmetic dentistry service, they also serve various purposes in restorative dentistry. They are commonly used for:
- Protecting a Tooth after Root Canal Treatment: Dental crowns are placed over a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy to provide strength and protection and prevent fracture.
- Replacing Large Fillings: When there is not enough natural tooth structure remaining after removing a large filling, a crown is used to restore the tooth’s functionality and appearance.
- Restoring Fractured Teeth: Dental crowns can repair and strengthen teeth that have experienced fractures or significant damage.
- Supporting Dental Bridges: Crowns are used as anchor points for dental bridges, helping to hold the bridge in place and replace missing teeth.
- Covering Dental Implants: Dental crowns are placed on top of dental implants, providing the visible and functional part of the implant-supported tooth restoration.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Enhanced Functionality: Dental crowns restore the functionality of damaged teeth, allowing you to bite, chew, and speak comfortably and efficiently.
- Improved Aesthetics: Crowns are designed to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth, providing a seamless and natural-looking smile.
- Increased Durability: Made from strong and durable materials, crowns are long-lasting and can withstand normal biting and chewing forces.
- Protection and Strengthening: Crowns provide an added layer of protection, safeguarding weakened or damaged teeth from further deterioration.
- Restored Confidence: By restoring the appearance and function of your teeth, dental crowns can boost your confidence and self-esteem, allowing you to smile freely.
- Improving Aesthetics: Crowns can enhance the appearance of discolored, poorly shaped, or misaligned teeth, restoring a natural and attractive smile.
The Dental Crown Process
During your consultation at Dentistry of Highland Village, our Houston dentist will evaluate your oral health, discuss your concerns, and determine if dental crowns are the appropriate treatment option for you.
The affected tooth is prepared by removing any decay or damaged portions. An impression of the tooth is taken, which serves as a blueprint for creating your custom-made crown.
Design and Fabrication
The impression is sent to a dental laboratory, where skilled technicians create your porcelain or ceramic crown. It is custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth.
Once your custom crown is ready, it is carefully fitted and bonded to your tooth using dental cement. Our Houston dentist ensures the crown aligns properly, feels comfortable, and blends seamlessly with your natural teeth.
After crown placement, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene practices, including regular brushing, flossing, and routine dental check-ups. This ensures the longevity and optimal function of your dental crown.
Frequently Asked Questions
With proper care and regular dental visits, dental crowns can last for decades or even a lifetime. Maintaining good oral hygiene and avoiding chewing on hard food items can help extend the lifespan of your crown.
The dental crown procedure is generally not painful. Your dentist may use a local anesthetic to numb the treatment area and ensure your comfort throughout the process.
If you’re having a crown placed for restorative purposes, your insurance is more likely to cover some or all of the costs. However, if the crown is purely cosmetic, you may encounter problems getting coverage. Be sure to contact your insurance provider beforehand to ask them which costs they will cover under what circumstances.
No, you care for dental crowns like you care for your natural teeth. Be sure to brush and floss your crowns regularly and visit your dentists for checkups as needed.
Call Dentistry of Highland Village; Restore Your Smile with Dental Crowns
At Dentistry of Highland Village, our Houston cosmetic dentists and skilled dental team can restore the appearance, function, and health of your teeth with dental crowns. If you think your smile could use a new dental crown, contact Dentistry of Highland Village by dialing (713) 360-7700 and scheduling a consultation. Our exceptional team is here to help patients from Houston and surrounding areas such as Pasadena, Sugar Land, and Pearland, TX experience the difference we can make in your smile.
MOST INSURANCES WELCOME AND MAXIMIZED!
NEW PATIENT SPECIALS & FINANCING OPTIONS AVAILABLE.
Contact us and schedule your visit today.
The Proof is in Our Patients
Specials & Offers
Ask About Our Specials
Exam, x-rays, and regular cleaning
Emergency exam and x-ray
|Monday||7:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday||7:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday||7:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||9:00 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Friday||7:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||7:00 AM – 3:00 PM|